Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Arguing Prop 8 at the Supreme Court
Majority vs. Minority: is it about tolerance or more?

Tomorrow from 9:00am - 12:00pm the arguments regarding the constitutionality of Proposition 8 will be argued before the Supreme Court. I've had a flood of emails in the past days inviting me to participate - and to tell folks in our church how they can/should participate in making their voices heard. I've also learned (and I could be wrong) that Attorney General Jerry Brown will give the opening arguments speaking for 15 minutes each for both side of the argument. I wonder, from what I've experienced, and my own perspective on the issue of this constitutionality - can you be impartial and argue for both - can you speak - can we speak or even fathom - both the rights of the majority and the rights of the minority? Is it about tolerance of an agenda/perspective that is other? Or is it about all of us and the way in which inalienable rights are protected and articulated?

Watch the preecedings live at http://www.calchannel.com/

Here's a link to a facebook invitation to rally locally against Prop 8 tomorrow http://100000march.org/sfmarch.html

Here's a link sent to online pastors by a California church seeking to offer a webinar about how to be invovled
http://www.skylinechurch.org/pastors_rapid_response.php

2 comments:

Corn Dog said...

thanks for reposting this.

My v-word is zingly. Wonder if that means anything.

Monte said...

glad to do it for you - happy b and v day! glad it was zingly.