Friday, September 28, 2007

Oakland is goingly
increasingly Slow Food



I went to the new Whole Foods store down by the lake today and nearly passed out from the beauty. WOW! The store is amazing...the gelato bar at the entry was awesome. And it just got better and better. Check out the cheese section, produce and wine sections....fantastic. I kept expecting to round a corner and bump into Alice Waters, Michael Pollan or at least Barbara Kingsolver.


Of course I'm partial to Farmer Joe's and the other emerging slow food mecca markets in the Dimond/Laruel districts. I went to Farmer Joe's to pick up my favorite espresso and get a baguette and was reminded of the diversity of East Oakland. While turning down homemade Tamales sold by a Latino Family in the parking lot, I then said hi to a familar faced street-man drinking a cup of Peet's coffee in front of La Farine as I walked in for my bread. I then jay walked across the street with an African mother and daughter. Where else can you get all of that in 100 square feet (along with human hair extensions next door and several manicure places - as a Dimond resident recently pointed out). I don't think Whole Food can beat that.

2 comments:

Corn Dog said...

I hear Whole Foods also has free internet. I've not been yet but I'll probably go this weekend. It's nice to see Oakland doing well.

Monte said...

Don't know about the Wi-Fi...most likely. I did try their gelato today - straticella (Italian for chocolate chip)...grande size wouldn't be enough!