Thursday, February 05, 2009

Proposition 8
Stickers Signs & Videos

If you read me regularly you'll know that I'm always scanning bumpers of cars to find new bumpersticker treasurers to share on my weekly Tuesday "Bumper Sticker of the Week". I noticed something yesterday as I drove through the Dimond, the first yellow "Yes on 8" sticker that I've seen in months.


I don't see any of those signs in front yards - in the places where I live and move and have my being - mostly Oakland. I do see lot's of yards that still have "No on 8" signs and many cars that still bear stickers (usually both) like these that I saw on a bumper at Trader Joe's by the lake on Friday night.

It got me wondering. Why do we leave some stickers/signs up/on and take others down? Is it about the pride of victory of the motivation of loss? Maybe I'm reading too much into it. Yet I was struck that I saw my first Yes on 8 sticker at the same time that I kept hearing about the court fights to ensure that the lists of those that donated to Yes on 8 couldn't be made public.

Today I got an email with this video (made by some associates) about the impending decision about the marriages that did occur between the initial court pronouncement for marriage equality and then the overturning of it in November. You might (or might not) disagree with me, and I think that nonetheless it's a well made video (with a great song) by the Courage Campaign.


"Fidelity": Don't Divorce... from Courage Campaign on Vimeo.

1 comment:

Susannah said...

i saw this video on another blog i read; i think it's a great and very compelling video.