Wednesday, June 11, 2008

I'm Going to Hell
with Obama & Rev. Wright

I received an interesting message on the voice mail today at the church where I work. Here's and exact transcript of what the unknown and un-named caller of the female persuasion said:

"I can't imagine a minister of a church who puts a picture of a political figure up next to a church where a picture of Jesus should be. Have you ever heard of the separation of church and state? I'm still for Jesus! If I was a member of your church I'd leave a trail of fire behind me. I'll be seeing Jesus in heaven. You go to hell with Obama and Rev. Wright."

Interesting call. I don't know who it was or what they were talking about. We don't - as of yet - have a picture of Senator Obama, nor one of Senator McCain, up in our church sanctuary space. I don't have one on my car or in my home. So I can only assume that this woman is referring to the "I support Obama" widget on the right-hand corner of my blog page. What a troubling call. She must really hate Obama, and really hate me, to take such effort to communicate this message. Even more it took her 2 calls to succeed in leaving a message on my work voice mail. Why go to so much effort to tell me that I'm going to hell and that she doesn't care - if she even does know me - I just don't get it? What most troubles me is not that I'm going to hell, but rather that someone feels such a need to call me at the church I work at to leave a message informing me of that.

Maybe, she - or you, are a reader of the blog. If you're game to dialogue on line about your perspective I'd love to do so.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

At least the caller can read! She did fail to mention that before OBama you had a wonderful picture of Bruce and his family!! That must be okay!!
If Obama, Wright and You are going to a special place,(and I am sure that your caller have a few more candidates) I want to be there!!!

Tyler said...

Hi, Monte!
It always seems so strange to me when people who profess faith in God act with such venom and cowadice.
Do they think that Muhammed, Gautama Buddha, or Jesus would have condemned someone anonymously? I know that those revolutionaries acted in anger against practices they considered inappropriate to faith in God.
But I can only feel sorry for someone who expresses such conviction with the cowardice to do so anonymously.
So.. I wonder where you actually WOULD get a picture of Jesus?

Corn Dog said...

I'm confused. I have questions:
1) How does one leave a trail a fire? Seems like something I could make use of. Is it like lighting a fart?
2) Is there a line to hell? Am I in the front or the back of the line? Or does it matter? Is that all part of hell's theme? There are no front or backs to the lines. You just stand and wait endlessly and complain.
3) Where should pictures of Jesus be? Overlaying pictures of presidential candidates? Is this going to be something I'm not going to understand like when Rosanne Barr sang The Star Spangled Banner.
4) THe caller said "I'm still for Jesus." What Jesus might that be because it's not the Jesus I know. Is it that Jesus on Fruitvale Ave with the gold chains selling velvet paintings of Scarface. That one?

Monte said...

You can get pictures of Jesus. They're easier to purchase in a Catholic-related store. I myself prefer an empty cross of resurrection on the wall to a picture of Jesus, most oftentimes made in our own image according to what we think he should be, or should have been. If all else fails - try out Fruitvale Ave like Corn Dog suggested!

I'm not sure about that trail of fire. It could be some sort of blue flame that spread and follows?

As far as a line for hell....I've never read about that in my theological training and studies. Maybe you discover it once you take a number?

I'm still for Jesus - the one I know who is too wild, radical and true for me to put him into a box. That's why I base my life on his teachings....it's true, uncomfortable and always challenging to me in terms of my worldview, ethical actions and relationships. I hope this caller is indeed for Jesus - maybe she and I just have experienced Jesus in different ways? What I do know, an believe with all my heart, breath, and being is that Jesus is FOR me, and FOR all of us, inviting all of us to deeper life, challenging us to serve the kingdom of God and not just our own narcissism, desires, or worldview.

I look forward to talking over a latte with Jesus - it'd be great fun to do it with both Corn Dog and Sarah....