Thursday, December 20, 2007

Raising Faith-Filled Kids:: 3
How will they know
if you never go?

I increasingly find that many of us younger-ish parents desire for our children to have some sort of exposure to spiritual things in view of fostering or encouraging their personal spirituality. Yet often nothing is done. I find myself asking how will your kids ever know about faith or spirituality if they never go and experience it. Now that affirms my context as a follower of Jesus who confirms that spirituality is a personal or individual thing and also believes that it might even be more of a communal or public thing.

I want my children to participate in a faith community, to connect with other people - of different ages, diverse socio-economic and cultural backgrounds, in order to experience what faith is from different viewpoints. I want my daughters to be part of a community, an extended family of faith as they grow up. The African saying "it takes a village to raise a child" is often quoted in our Bay Area. Yet if children aren't in a village how can that happen?

Here's an illustration. I'm not really hyper-excited about the whole Santa thing. I've told (maybe a mistake) our oldest daughter that Santa is a myth, a story that invites us to share with each other, that her gifts come from all those people in her life that love and treasure her. She now likes to tell other kids that Santa doesn't exist. Yet she does find an ironic joy in encountering Santa, in that glimpse of a dream that maybe the whole myth is real. We were at a family Christmas party this past weekend. Santa came to distribute gifts to over 40 of my cousins and second cousins. Here's how my daughter responded to Santa







She was excited. Hopeful. Wide-eyed. I think she knew it was a great uncle under that beard. But what was so joyful for her was being surrounded by family, who witnessed what was going on.

Many folks tell me that they want their kids to have a spirituality, to choose their own faith options. Yet how can they do that if they've never experienced anything? How can they see what faith is like or spirituality about if all they hear is talking about it without ever seeing or experiencing it? The idea of Santa is crazy. Yet the practice is life-shaping. The idea of God becoming human to convince of us divine love is preposterous and unfathomable. Yet the practice of it is life-transforming, fulfilling and sustaining - in my experience and practice. Spirituality is about participation. Participation in a community, practicing faith in the needs of our world, maybe even participating in the divine itself. You can't just talk about it. You have to experience it. You can't allow someone to make a choice about something if they don't know what choices they have. What better time to provide our children with an experience of faith in community than during the long darkness of our short winter days when light seems so precious?

2 comments:

Leila Abu-Saba said...

We had a terrific time at your Christmas Eve service, with our kids who eagerly participated in candle-lighting and pageant (and cookies and hot chocolate!) I'm the mother of Wise Man #3 and Joseph.

I've been sending my kids to my mom's church when they spend Saturday nights at her house, at least twice a month. So I've been very happy for them to become part of that community. I go to another church (I'll tell you personally) that's more "New Age'y" and suits my spiritual bent. However the kids don't care for that church's Sunday school.

Fruitvale Presby is a "fit" for me culturally (daughter of liberal civil rights activist, granddaughter of liberal Methodist minister; Oaklandish, feminist, possibly a little syncretistic but who's counting?). My kids acted like they've been going there all their lives. I have indeed been saying I want the children to have a spiritual community and have more connections in our neighborhood...

We *loved* visiting you all tonight, and my kids will probably make sure we show up more often. THey spent the rest of the evening discussing the pageant and the candle lighting - they are just beside themselves with delight. So nice to have something else to do and think about on Christmas Eve besides presents, presents, stockings and presents. Oh yes, and we stopped to look at a couple of creches to round out the story of the evening. Younger son remembers me reading him a picture book about the Christ child last year and asked where that book got to... ulp, I don't know. So then he suggested that I could read him the story out of our Bible. ???!!!

Merry Christmas, and thank you again.

Monte said...

leila,
so glad that you all joined us for christmas eve at fruitvale church. i think there is a vital connection (for all of us not just our children) to practice our faith in our neighborhood, to connect with our community of schools, work, stores, etc. and spirituality. that's what is increasingly unique about our church faith community as we re-emerge as a local congregation. so glad that your 2 sons enjoyed the celebration and wanted to hear more of the story. the essential part is in Luke chapter 2 and the magi/wise men part is in matthew 3. happy reading as a family!

we might be the perfect "fit" for you - come and visit us again on a sunday at 11am and see!

happy new year.