Friday, December 14, 2007

10 Things I love about Oakland:: (2/10)
Ice Cream Spots


I wrote last week about 10 of my favorite things in and about Oakland. Actually I only wrote about one (Peter Pan Cooperative Preschool). A friend told me it was a teaser, that he scrolled down to read the remaining 9 items. So I'm going to do a series of 10things I love about Oakland. I'll publish one each week on Friday. Each one of the ten will have a list attached to it - since none of it makes sense, or is in a from best-to-worst list...just 10 things (and many more) that I love about Oaktown.

So today I'm writing about ice cream spots - one of my favorite things to eat and always one of the events I do with my children that is at the top of my must list!

My current favorite spot for Ice Cream, actually gelatto, is the new Whole Foods Market down near the Lake. It's great because of the selection of flavors (see the picture) and also because I think there's not many better places these days to sit outside, enjoying food with friends and family and witness - actually experience - the energy of our city. When you are there you get a good feeling of the rejuvenation, gentrification, transformation of Oakland. Plus the straticella is almost as good as the one I got in Tuscany years ago!

Other more than worthy mentions:

Fenton's (on Piedmont) - What's their to say? Excellent. Any sundae with that much fudge, nuts, and ice cream to worth the 5 pounds you gain. (Fireman's special). They have a new store in Vacaville that was equally good (of course we had to try it!)

Loard's Ice Cream (the peppermint is fantastic!). I prefer the one near the place I work on MacArthur at Coolidge.

Ciao Bella Gelato (on Piedmont - also in the Ferry Bldg in the City). Excellent, but no terrace view of downtown.

What about you? Any other favorite spots that I should try or that you want to share?

1 comment:

Patchizinho said...

it's in San Francisco but lately I'm totally cuckoo for Mitchell's ice cream, they have some yummy tropical flavors like Avocado and Ube and Lukuma. Lukuma is delicious though I have no clue what it is.