Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Who are WE?

In ran across some thoughtful articles in this week's edition of Newsweek that dialogue with the themes of temptation, brokenness, cubism and practice that emerged for me in studying and preaching last week. They lift up the reality that we see what we don't see and don't see what we see. (Words that were used in our prayer of confession in worship at Fruitvale Church last Sunday).

Here's the words of the prayer.

Confession of Sin & the Sin of our World

People: God of Mercy, you created the world in perfect order, gifting us with all we need to live in joy and happiness. In our sin and brokenness we turn away from you, losing our way, spoiling your creation. We chase after our petty needs and our needy pettiness. We focus our hearts on ourselves instead of you, putting you and each other in a box. Blinded by our self-centeredness we fail to see the injustice we perpetuate, the needy at our doorstep, the destruction and division that we enable, and we fail to see just how much we see. In your grace-full mercy God of Life, make us whole, bring us to new life, that we may see as you see and respond as you have in Christ your Son. Amen.


Here's the two articles from Newsweek

I'm Not Who You Think I Am


The Secret Haters (different but still a propos).

2 comments:

Corn Dog said...

Kind of a depressing post there. I like to thank God for my Polly pockets. I know I sin but I'm doing my damnest not to, to stay in the moment, to recognize the bigger picture, be mindful of others. I don't think I spoiled the creation...at least not on purpose. Okay, I'll go back under my rock now.

Monte said...

Hey - don't stay under the rock...we need to have coffee! I'll find you to set it up.

I didn't take all of this as so depressing....hmm. I still am grateful for the Polly Pockets too, and 'doing my darndest' to be centered, mindful, present and other-focused....following on the path. I guess I was stuck on the idea - from last week - thinking about how we are broken, in order to recognize it in a healthy, direct way so as not to dwell on it but to live with it and move through it by God's power. For me that's what the prayer called me to
in my preparation and praying of it.

You speak truth deeply...if we get stuck on the broken stuff what do we have? Where do we go? What's the meaning of it? I think it's only just a small part on the beginning of the journey....we all know (most of us at least) that we ourselves are broken, I find that practicing in a community of faith invites me to recognize that I'm broken in the same ways that so many others are, that we share a common short-fall and a shared hope. For me that's the good news.

Looking forward to Peet's together.