Thursday, May 24, 2007

Darchell Hamilton
One Business Owner in the Community of the Dimond

Have you noticed the clothing store that opened across the street from our church last summer? Darchell Hamilton owns and operates it, owning not just a small business but working steadily and steadfastly to help improve the immediate neighborhood around our church.

She was in the e-news recently on Novometro.com.....so I thought I'd post the article that I received via the Dimond Community Web Link for all to enjoy. Read the article inserted below, or on its original page with photos here

If you haven't check out her store yet - or met Darchell - take the time to stop by and say "hi."
______

Novo MetroSuede on the EdgeShopping Johnny Z. May 10, 2007 at 14:23 02:23:55 PM

On busy MacArthur Boulevard, several blocks uphill from Fruitvale Avenue, aboutique named Suede sits behind a handsome Mediterranean façade. Fashion retailmay be a bit edgy for the Dimond district, but Suede is on the edge of theDimond. “Technically, it’s Bret Harte,” explains Darchell Hamilton, proprietorof the one-year-old shop (2170 MacArthur Blvd). But a few blocks can’t stop Ms.Hamilton from seeing what Farmer Joe and other East Oakland entrepreneurs havealso seen: an opportunity.

For Ms. Hamilton, bringing fresh fashions to her hometown has been a lifelonggoal. “I’ve always tried to express my creative side. But like most people, Iwant something stable. As a mother, that’s how I feel,” she says.

With her two children in their teens, a break from work allowed her to exploreentrepreneurship. “I was off work, and had time to be creative. I started tothink, what can I do? I just didn’t want to go back to corporate America,” shesays. “It wasn’t impulsive -- I had thought about it for years. I wasintimidated by the uncertainty of retail. If I wasn’t married, I don’t think I’dtake that leap.”

But now Ms. Hamilton has no regrets. At the end of last year, she doubled herspace by moving into the next storefront. She has plans to move Suede forward when she has the opportunity. “I want to combine home accents with clothing.”

It’s not hard to imagine what sort of house-wares Suede would sell. DarchellHamilton stocks her airy space and boudoir furniture with lightly coloredmerchandise that is contemporary and accessible. “I’m feminine; I think ladiesshould look like ladies.” But she doesn’t emphasize dresses. “If it’s toodressy, people will only come by when they have somewhere to go. I try to havereasonable prices. I want people to impulse shop!”

More than a few items attract an impulsive eye. A white and ivory, lace andeyelet top by Kenzie Girl ($48) could easily slip over blue “skinny jeans” by It($74), perhaps accessorized with heavy, intertwined brass bangles ($14) and aresin rose-shaped ring in one of several natural colors ($10). Amici’s red feltclutch ($48) would make the outfit more artsy, peacock-feather earrings by AdiaKibur ($14) more hippie.

Other items recall classic styles, as does a hanging photo print, fashionablyoverexposed, of Audrey Hepburn. Kersh’s ivory cowlneck sweater ($44), or asquare-topped tunic in black by I-On ($34), would go well with a white quiltedpurse, an oversized trapezoid of faux leather by Sense ($58). A looselyconstructed tan polka-dot dress by Zia ($34) contrasts with a chain-linknecklace of leather and gunmetal ($18). Local label Orondide’s “Africa 1” teescome in a variety of color combinations, some suggesting a black-power rally;others, a black-lit disco.

Locally made tees, picture frames, and music round out a selection tailored tothe community. Ms. Hamilton’s love for her city is apparent. “I grew up in Oakland. I moved out two years ago. I desperately wanted to come back. I love Oakland. I hate it when people talk bad about it,” she says.

The Dimond district is just one pocket of much-maligned East Oakland. “We have problems, but you just don’t hang out in those areas, and you’ll be fine.” Darchell Hamilton is proud to be part of revitalizing the city. “It’s a longtime coming, and it’s about time. It’s not that the interest isn’t here - it’sthe businesses that aren’t.”

No comments: