Sunday, October 07, 2007

Olafur Eliasson
Experiential Art
NOW @ the SFMOMA

I got my weekly Economist edition on Friday and diligently began working my way through it. In the Arts section this week is an article on Olafur Eliasson - "Spinning tops and frozen cars." His work is well known all over the world, and currently the SF MOMA is showing a retrospective of his work (through early Winter 08) that he helped install. His art is more about experience and participation than representation and passive reflection. When asked about his art in the article, he responded, "I am not a nature lover, I am a people lover. That is why I am an artist: I use art to engage people."

In an earlier blog entry (HERE) I wrote about my discovery and process of his creation and his experiential approach to art which aims for human participation and connectivity....all of which some current authors suggest should be some of the foundational elements to post-modern worship in Christian gatherings. Interesting food for thought that I'm still wrestling with and trying to get my mind and hands around. It's worth a read over a up of coffee...and a visit to the MOMA.

No comments: