Saturday, October 13, 2007

Austin, YUPers, Spazmatics,
and the Spider House Cafe
Keeping it weird

I spent the week in Austin, staying at Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary for a week of study, reflection, rest, renewal, laughter, BBQ, lattes and beer with other Presbyterian Young Urban Pastors. It was a great time of renewal, relaxation, and reflection. Highlights included some great conversations, a fun Yoga Session and multiple visits to the Spider Cafe as well as a chance to experience the Spazmatics (a local Austin 80s band) at Cedar Street Courtyard. I loved Spider House Cafe so much I was almost ready to sign up as an undergrad at UT, except for the homework, dorm life, papers, and return to late teens/early 20s.


I leave the week with many things:



1. Feeling encouraged and confirmed about my vocation and sense of call to serve as a pastor in the urban context.

2. Feeling encouraged about our church community - in the larger sense - and my colleagues I'm blessed to serve with.

3. the discovery that Texas can be quite different than you think....Austin.

4. A Reaffirmation of my passion for 80s music.

5. A Reaffirmation of my commitment to crazy colorful socks to keep things interesting!

Check out the Spazmatics on their website HERE and their myspace page HERE.

Check out Bruce's take on the week on his blog HERE.

5 comments:

Alice Joanou said...

Hi Monte!
I FINALLY got a chance to read the blog. Love it It's bookmarked. Looking forward to getting to know you better. Hope you and the family can come on Saturday. Warmly, your neighbor, Alice

Monte said...

Hi Alice,

I've been out of town, as you can see - and have lost your email....I've been looking for you at the store and missing you. Can you email me I have some questions for you....mcclainmonte@sbcglobal.net
So glad that you're in the hood!

LadyBurg said...

Well, nice to know you have a blog! I too loved the Spider Cafe and think its worth moving to Austin for. Its making my hometown feel even more lame. *sigh*

Hope you are well!

Monte said...

Hey Ladyburg,
I discovered your blog today...is that serendipity...or a God-thing or what? Austin was fun...I'm a bit partial to Oakland...if only they had the beer/coffee mix of the Spider Cafe. Been thinking of you and Mr. Burg...seeking to remember you in my practices with your sabbatical and job search.
Courage! I'm hoping for a job at the GTU in Berkeley for you both. :)

LadyBurg said...

Ahhh shucks. And thanks. Berkeley would be great!

Guess I need to check out Oakland. I love that you have a yoga studio next door. Soooo jealous.