Sunday, October 14, 2007


Blessing of the Animals



Yesterday we had a Blessing of the Animals celebration at our church. It was a day to remember.....again true Oakland experience as I heard rapidly spoken Cantonese drifting over the coffee table, while so many other things were happening. I loved the whole experience, not just because I talked about the "circle of life" or the "web of life" of what biblical language calls the "body of Christ in the world" but because we really experienced and participated in that connection, community and creation during the ministry event. My favorite moment (a first for me) was trying to lead singing on the church patio while at least half a dozen AC transit buses drove along the church with the deafening roar....never have played with such percussion as well....neither have I had a choral back-up group coming principally from the canine community!


Here's some pictures from Alan Ball


4 comments:

Corn Dog said...

The pictures are very touching. Alan captured the love and bond, the connection you spoke of at the Blessing. It was a very wonderful, fun and special event. The louder than ambient noise made it so Dimond. I guess we could have done without the cursing bicyclist but on the other hand, I don't think I'll forget the Blessing because of the juxtaposition of the language on the church patio and in the street. It looks like to me the animals know they are being blessed. It's funny because mine have followed me around the house all day today as if they know too. Thanks again, Monte.

Monte said...

Hey Corn Dog...
I had a great time....I'd forgotten about the bicycler. Good thing that doesn't happen on a regular basis, I might be tempted to respond to the cursing with louder cursing on the microphone....it might scare the dogs and cats. We're trying to get some of the pictures into the next edition of the Metro...to milk just a few more moments of glory. Still missing Ruth & Diane today...would have been perfect if they'd be with us in person.

howekat said...

Thanks for holding the blessing....Tanner and I had a great time, and it made us feel "blessed" to live in a neighborhood with such great people and their animal companions!

Regards,
Kathie & Tanner Pooh

Monte said...

Hey Kathie,

So glad that you and Tanner could come. I love the comment you made about your matching hair color! We are blessed to have such a great neighborhood community! Thanks to you too for helping make it so.

Cheers,
Monte