Saturday, March 24, 2007

Saturday, March 24, 2007

Lent Reading Day 29

The Lost Sheep:









I've heard this story so often that I no longer hear it. Of course you'd look for the sheep....yet if I was the CEO of a major international shepherding firm I would fire the employee who would leave the 99 of the herd to look for one lost sheep. That shepherd wouldn't even get any sort of severance package. So what's the point...the shepherd in Jesus' story should be looking for different work. It can't be just about that...it has to be some sort of metaphorical paradox articulating the crazy lengths to which God will go to seek us out. What seem so trite and simple is yet quite deep and complicated...why would God love us in such an illogical, not-cost-effective way? And if we're called to love each other and ourselves in that same ditch-the-99 to look for the lost-one...than we - and I in particular - have a lot to learn.

No comments: