Wednesday, June 18, 2008

What I Read this Past Week that was Read-Worthy

Most of this past week has been experiential for me as opposed to literary narrative read in a book or media birthed articles. Celebrating equality in marriage, experiencing the bitterness of some older adults in my faith community in terms of the boisterous and movement-filled presence of children (including my own), thinking of the future for my own sanity and the growth of my own family, the future of the church which I both love and loathe, and conversations and brief moments with friends that I treasure and love beyond words. YET - in all of that there were still some things I read that were more than worthy reading:

"The Same People
" by Anna Quindlen (Newsweek) - if you don't read anything else this week - read this!

"Let Me Worship as I Am" (Newsweek)- too Catholic in worldview for me in the end, yet meaning-making.

Jesus for President
- the most innovative and thought provoking book I've read this year. BUY IT! READ IT! TALK ABOUT IT!!!! (official website)

"Vultures, Marriage and the road to Hell" chez Corn Dog - always a good laugh with deep thoughts throughout!

Sandworms of Dune - great conclusion to a fantastic series of sci-fi novels. Loved it!

Romans 12 - I can't get away from this amazing call to faith from the Apostle Paul even in the midst of my anger with the retardness of the church faith community I participate in.

No comments: