Sunday, June 22, 2008

Bruce Reyes-Chow Elected
Moderator of the 218th General Assembly
of the Presbyterian Church (USA)

The past few days I've been spending safely out of the heat in the air conditioned convention center in San Jose supporting the GA Moderator campaign of Bruce Reyes-Chow. Last night in first principal session of the gathering he was elected on the 2nd vote. I was encouraged because he's a friend, shares my worldview parameters and hopefully will succeed in his desire to shape the conversations in our church community that they might more effectively, honestly and directly not just talk about our culture, call and community - but invite dialogue leading towards communal praxis and institutional transformation.

I heard a 30something person share with happiness after his election, "I have hope for the church. I know that I'll have my place and that the church will seek to engage me not just talk about me." I hope that's the case, not just for 30somethings but for all people, Seniors, Children, Immigrants and Gays & Lesbians all seeking to follow Jesus in the contextual community of the Presbyterian Church.

As the crowd of Bruce supporters stormed the stage in matching t-shirts for a moment of prayer it seemed like some sort of Barack Obama-esque moment with a mosaic of folks gathered in a common hope and shared vision. Can the church connect or re-connect with so many people (that I meet in Oakland and elsewhere) that are passionate about spirituality and faith-full living yet have given up on the church as a community of faith? I don't think you can just "fix" that situation,...but maybe we can begin new discussions aimed not just at opening our church system eyes but also in engaging those around us.

Online Announcement of Bruce's Election


Follow developments at GA
Official PCUSA Page (including live streaming video)

GA Bloggers
Shawn Coons at I, Geek Rev
Adam Clevland, Pomomusings
Bruce's Blog with other links

Here's a video from youtube sharing Bruce's vision

2 comments:

Corn Dog said...

WOW! Wonderful news. Congrats to Bruce. Perhaps the church does want to change, after all.

Monte said...

I think so. Thought of you during his words and invitation to think differently, and act in a like manner.