Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Community & Faith
Changing Each Other For Good

In our worship celebration at Fruitvale Church on Sunday we celebrated and dedicated the coming school year for students (young and old) and those that work in education. There was a significant time of prayer in which we had a ritual prayer to make our prayers visible, silent personal prayer, as well as the possibilty for annointing with oil for the new year.

I was overcome in the midst of all this spiritual acitivity, as many participants in our faith community shared their deep needs, concerns, hopes and visions for the coming year, asking me to pray with them.

I preached on Matthew 28:16-20, borrowing many ideas from a friend's sermon on the same text. Jesus sends out his friends, the 11 disciples into the world as followers-in-training, as life-long-learners, in a community because they would need each other every day. What's striking is that in the middle of that some of them still doubt. Jesus sends them not because they have all the answers, can package an easily-legislated morality, or because their militant zealots. They're sent because they've been changed, for good, because of their relationship with Jesus of Nazareth.

I quoted the song "For Good" from the Broadway Musical, in which the two protaganists sing to each other in the finals song of their relationship, and how they've been formed and informed by their relationships.

Here's some of the lyrics

"I know I'm who I am today
Because I knew you:
Like a comet pulled from orbit
As it passes a sun
Like a stream that meets a boulder
Halfway through the wood
Who can say if I've been changed for the better?
But because I knew you
I have been changed for good"

All of the lyrics are HERE.

I was seized with reflectiveness and gratitude during our worship celebration, and the chorus of prayers spoken, whispered, sung, enacted, and uttered in silence. These are the people who have changed me. Because I've known them in community, and have been known in return in community, I have been changed for good. It's not just a mountain-top, pass-the-smores-sing-around-the-campfire-feeling, but an experience of transcendence. I believe that I've been changed for good first and foremost in knowing this Jesus - who I'm still trying to know and grasp - and that has put other things into motion. But Sunday's worship put other things in motion.....

I was throughout our Dimond/Laurel neighborhood this past weekend...shopping in the Laurel, at the peace pole dedication in Dimond Park, at the neighborhood picnic in Maxwell Park, talking with Dimond Shop owners, and at our church building in the middle of it all. All of those events, all of those people are chaning things for good, for the more good. Maybe that's in part what faith is....not that we doing the changing for good, but that we are transformed and open to the power - I'd call it the Spirit of God - that moves in, among, and through us, changing us for the good (not some sort of moralistic or exclusionary good, but the good of caring for the widow, the orphan and the foreigner). Maybe that's what doing the will of God is...being open to relationships, encounters, sharing words, dialoguing....so that through it, in it, and by it we're all changed for the good?

Here's a video of the entire "For Good" song from the musical if you're interested.



4 comments:

Corn Dog said...

Great song. This is more along the lines of what I believe. I know it's not theolocially correct but I don't like those words "the will of God." When I think of God, the God I know, he has a will I suppose but it is not so emphasized like THE WILL OF GOD. I like to think about the spirit of God more and relationships. I think God is interwoven with us because we are his children, but like his children he teaches us in kind and gentle ways, if we listen.

I don't feel like I'm making much sense tonight. Maybe an example would be better. Because I got epilepsy from my errant brain tumor removal I can no longer drive. I was very angry. I asked God, "Why?" and "How is this fair?" I had to walk everywhere or ride the bus. In doing so, I have seen a whole new side to my neighborhood and met people I would never have know. I realize what it is like to not have a car. I understand what disability means. I realize now this was my path that God and I had decided on for me. I'm not angry any more. I'm extremely grateful. I never would have understood what I understand now. I hate to call this "God's Will." I think of this as more of God and me working together so I can reach a new level of comprehension, appreciation and communion with other people. Perhaps. Some days I would like to squeal the tires of a raggety jallopy. ha

Monte said...

Corn Dog,

I think you're making lots of sense. I'd agree...it's all about where we are, what's happening and who we're with. I love the song, "For Good"...in the musical it's about the friendship between the 2 witches of Oz....theologically I think it's both an affirmation and a description of what faith is, of how we respond to God's grace (offer of unconditional love, wholeness and relationship) by being changed for "good." For me that's what those big words "GOD'S WILL" are all about....not some sort of secret message written on the DaVinci Code Scrolls, hidden in the words of difficult Bible passages, or written in the sky following a lightening bolt....it's about being open and attentive to what's going on around us - in our world, in other's lives, in the communities in which we live and act and find our identity, as well as in our own lives, actions, thoughts, an the deepest recluses of our hearts. Your sharing about driving is just that...seeing the opportunity or opening (I have a hard time saying seeing the "good" in your suffering and sickness) for life, deeper life, and freed-to-live-life-for-God life in all that we do, see, experience and even suffer through. Listening and looking are definitely key.

Maybe that's what the scripture from 2 Corinthians chapter 4, verses 16-18 are trying to convey "16 So we do not lose heart. Even though our outer nature is wasting away, our inner nature is being renewed day by day. 17For this slight momentary affliction is preparing us for an eternal weight of glory beyond all measure, 18because we look not at what can be seen but at what cannot be seen; for what can be seen is temporary, but what cannot be seen is eternal. "
Monte

Karl Shadley said...

What a moving testimony to the power of community. It inspires me to get out and do the community thing where I live. Peace, Karl

Corn Dog said...

Definitely an "a ha" moment for me here in the comments. The scripture made me cry. I need to memorize it so I can repeat it to myself.