Friday, June 15, 2007

The Police Concert
@ the Coliseum

My wife and I joined about 1,000,000 other people last night to fill up the Coliseum to hear The Police in their one NoCal stop on their world tour. I've never seen that many people at the Coliseum - I think that there were more of them than blades of grass on the ball field. The music was good. Of course I must admit that I was nervous watching the crowds near us on the 3rd balcony dance throughout the concert - in particular after the many beers that were drunk throughout the evening heat. I kept having psychotic visions of jumpers pitching themselves off the side in the midst of their gyrating 80s dance moves. We could see stick figures on the distant stage and thanks to the screens alongside could verify that the guys dancing around playing the bass in a white shirt and black pants was indeed Sting (well I'm at least 99% sure it was). They did 3 encores before quickly exiting in an idling car directly behind the stage in Center Field (the birdseye view of our nose bleeder seats blessed up with that privelege). We then proceeded to fight the masses either pushing their way through the crowd seeking to enter the few BART trains or smoking bowls as they waited for the train leaving Pleasanton at that moment. Anyway it was fun - Every Breath you Take was the penultimate song of the last encore...I guessed they saved their most popular till last. I'm still wondering today how much they made on the 9 x 10 to the 10th power beers that they sold throughout the concert for $10 a shot. Been searching today for a bootleg video on youtube of the concert and throughout the blogosphere - all to no avail. So I'll leave you with my favorite Police song video - "Walking In Your Footsteps"

No comments: