Thursday, January 18, 2007

HEROES

ORDINARY PEOPLE DOING EXTRAORDINARY THINGS

I WANT TO BE ON THE LIST

One of my most recently favorite shows to watch on TV is Heroes. In great part thanks to Uncle Tio, I've been irrevokably turned on to the under-the-radar creative genius of this show - which is part X-Men, part 1 Corinthians 12, part of my dream-world-come-true.

As I grew up I dreamed many times of being a super-hero, doing remarkable things, in particular as I so often felt so un-remarkably ordinary. Whether it was the under-water powers of Aquaman, the wonder-twin powers, seeing through walls, flying in the air, being able to control the weather, or even just to have the knowledge to build a teleporter and then go anywhere anytime...I always dreamed that such powers would be the ideal way to escape the boredom of life. The irony is that yesterday someone told me that "boredom is simply a lack of attention to detail." - I'm not sure what that means, or what they meant about me!?

Anyway this past week at Fruitvale Church we read and listened to the following scriptures Matthew 5:13-16, Romans 12:3-21 and 1 Corinthians 12:1-6. They talk about Jesus calling his disciples to be universe-transforming and life-sustaining SALT and LIGHT in the world, that such feats are possible by the many and multiply diverse gifts that the Spirit of God gives us in order for us (this is my favorite part - Romans 12:21) to not be overcome by evil, but to overcome evil with good. As I meditated on that word for the week, I couldn't help but think about Heroes - the similitude of those scriptures and the comparison/contrast between Peter and Hiro and Sylar. In fact I think maybe just maybe the writer-creators of Heroes are inspired by Christian faith or at least the Judeo-Christian perspective on community, vocation, and gifts....maybe it's James Dobson's true vision of family values?

In any case...is it really to freaky to imagine that God is actually calling us to be heroes and heroines...using our gifts to overcome evil for good - the good of all - as opposed to being sylar-ishly overcome by evil? Didn't Calvin compare predestination-salvation to being "on some sort of list?" Is it really all that far fetched?

Are you on the list?
If so who are you?
I took the test at quizfarm and discovered that I'm most like Peter and Hiro.


Take the test and see what hero you're most like here.


The story continues Monday, January 22nd @ 9pm on NBC.


Check out Hiro's Blog here.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

You are on the list!